We keep taking shit shortcuts and creating terrible experiences, this is not why I came together with you.
I was trying to escape yesterday, but I am never quitting UX. In fact, I am taking charge and I will stay in charge of UX, forever!
Coz this is what I do!
Bear till the end coz I am not just blaming you, but myself as well.
I’m really just trying to honestly observe the problem and find a solution!
And yes there are proposed solutions!
This is exactly how we ended up with having all the features but nothing works
- The API lead capturte doesn’t work because you were lazy to handle phone numbers
- Search doesn’t work because you never designed an algorithm
- Upload leads doesn’t work, because we know all the problems but don’t have the time to fix it
- Authentication doesn’t work because you can’t find of fix handling an error
- It takes 8 seconds to load after clicking notification, that’s the minimum it will take what can I do?
- The URLs don’t load because we never handled enterprises, and even within the same enterprise it doesn’t load because routing is fucked up
- People who don’t have gmail can’t use TeleCRM
And this is the case with pretty much everything that’s ‘complecated’
On top of that, you say something like – “this is TeleCRM it never works the way it is supposed to”
Sadly there is too much truth to that joke
If we keep doing this because
- There are no users
- Search works in slack it’s a million dollar company
then we’ll never get to having users or being a billion dollar company
The problem is not ‘we will fix them’ problem is creating shit and moving ahead in the name of prioritization.
This will create mistrust and disconnect within the team.
Best case scenario dirty politics worst-case scenario imploding.
The day before yesterday I got a glimpse of that when Abhinav was trying to convey something like “Rahil is new, I have been here long enough to know that nothing works and no one cares to fix!”
I don’t need you to write code but I need you to take responsibility of everything that the Dev team releases.
This means either they do it right or you jump in and you do it right.
But you make sure that they are done right!
What happens if I say I am CMO so I won’t write content, whatever Hammad or Rahil or Abhinav writes, whatever videos they create go out! Besides no one is reading that content anyway.
- I’ll create a culture that says “It’s ok to put out shit content coz we don’t really care”
- We’ll never get to having an audience. People have options! They don’t need to eat my shit
That’s only one solution – if we do something, we do it right or we don’t fucking do it!
- We are doing too many things chasing too many opportunities. We have to know that to do it right we can only do a few things so first we have to decide on the few things that really matter! (this is my responsibility, I recently realized I have the tendency to chase every opportunity, without really knowing the cost that’ll have to be paid for those opportunities)
- Overestimating ourselves, then fucking up and leaving things won’t work. Before we start a new feature we have to estimate the cost of doing it right and whether you really can!
- If you’re going with your hunch you have to take responsibility if things go wrong, you can’t blame lack of time or situation change or prioritization (and the same applies for me)
- We don’t release crap and then just move on!
After writing in writing I realized that if we sort the prioritization issue most of the things will be sorted.
So that’s what the conversation was about!